Battle of Arras and Vimy Ridge WWI Tour to Canadian National Vimy Memorial, Cabaret Rouge Cemetery, Arras.
During the day, you will discover the part of the Western Front in the Artois region of France. In the Artois are many cemeteries and memorials marking the places of battles during WWI. It is a region to give great reflection upon the bloody battles which ensued for the Canadians and the Canadian National Commemorative Park at Vimy still has many scars to remind the visitor of what took place there -- scars of trenches and mine craters.
You will also discover major sites (memorials, cemeteries, and traces of battles) reminding you of the soldiers from Britain, France, Australia, New Zealand, and other countries who also contributed to the peace which finally fell upon this area of France.
During the First World War, the town of Arras in the Artois region was near the front where several lengthy battles took place. These battles became known as the Battle of Arras. Thanks to the New Zealand Tunnelling Company, a series of "Boves" or underground passages were constructed which allowed some 24,000 British soldiers to hide during WWI. On April 9, 1917, the British soldiers came out and attacked the German trenches in a surprise attack. The Battle of Arras was the only Allied victory in 1917.
The city of Arras was rebuilt after WWI and then again suffered damage after the May 1940 invasion of France. Occupied by the Germans during WWII, the French Resistance was very active in the town and 240 people who were suspected Reistance people were executed in the Arras citadel.
This tour will make stops at the following locations:
- Canadian National Vimy Memorial - located just north of Arras, the memorial honors the Battle of Vimy Ridge which was the first time Canada fielded an entire army of her own
- Cabaret Rouge Cemetery - started in March of 1916, there are 7655 people buried here and almost 4500 of those are unidentified
- Arras for free time - special interest is for the belfry of the town hall and the Arras citadel
WWI Vimy Ridge tour details:
- WWI Tour day: Mondays from April 1, 2014 to November 4, 2014
- Pickup: From your Paris hotel or apartment
- Child rate is for 0-17 years of age
- Tour Code: T62
- WWI Tour Duration: 6:30 AM - 6:30 PM
- Vehicle: Deluxe air-conditioned minibus that seats a maximum of 18 passengers, including hotel pickup and drop off
This WWI Battle of Arras and Vimy Ridge Tour will be a memorable experience for every traveler.